Tuesday, July 1, 2014

USA out of the World Cup

Hamstring injuries. Two broken noses. 19 and 20-yr-olds playing for the national side. I couldn't be prouder of our team, but I could be happier with them, if they had won.

There were a few opportunities we might have been able to capitalize on and win with. But they had more, that they didn't get to. Tim Howard was too locked down in goal. He had 16 saves, the most going back 50 years. Or maybe more. They only started keeping track 50 years ago, meaning Tim Howard might have had the most saves in World Cup history. I think it's sad. Tim Howard might, for the rest of his life, not remember those 16 saves. He's crying right now on TV. Those two goals they scored, though, those are the ones he might remember forever. Let's hope not. We're all in awe of him. It's not like the Brazilian goalkeeper everyone hates from 1950.

2-1. So heartbreaking. We could have won. On penalty kicks, I'd take none other than Timmy. So sad. He was on fire. But he couldn't be flaming enough. He got mad at his defenders tonight. He had to do so much.

You have to realize how I don't watch soccer. I thought I literally could not watch a whole game. I sat there enthralled. I was up and down, out of my seat, pacing almost like a Niners game. Everyone in the United States is on that page. That's at least something to have pride in, too. That we cared. I actually cared and I actually understood what was going on. I'm terrible at FIFA.

Also on Tv, they keep saying "He stood on his head." Is that a real reference? Or is that a soccerism? All these association footballers don't normally stand on their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment